- 1 1/2 Vidalia onion peeled, quartered and broken apart
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 2 cups celery cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup poblano chili pepper cubed
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 lb green split peas rinsed and drained
- 2 lb smoked turkey legs or leftover ham bone
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme 2 inches each
- 16 oz frozen peas
- 3 cups Swanson's Natural Chicken Broth
- 3 cups water
- Preheat oven to 425º. Line a large baking sheet with foil and top with onion, carrot, celery and poblano. Toss with olive oil to coat evenly. Roast until vegetables are nicely browned on the edges, about 20 minutes, stirring half-way through.
- In a 4 quart Dutch oven combine roasted vegetables, rinsed split peas, turkey/ham, thyme, chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove thyme sprigs and turkey/ham bone. Add frozen peas and simmer 5 minutes. Use an immersion blender to puree soup (I like to leave a little texture). Dice meat from your bone and stir into soup. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Share this Recipe