- 5 to 6 Meyer Lemons, depending on size
- 2 cups Brown Rice Flour
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. Xanthan Gum
- 1/2 cup Pine Nuts, toasted
- 1 cup butter, very cold (frozen works best)
- 6 eggs, room temperature (I prefer using free range chicken eggs)
- 2 1/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Xanthan Gum
I have a Meyer Lemon tree in my backyard that produces lemons year round; it is in a well-protected part of my yard. I love Meyer Lemons for their sweeter, less acidic flavor than the more common supermarket varieties such as Eureka or Lisbon. I wanted to use the entire lemon and make this gluten-free…I’ve also added toasted Pine Nuts to the crust for my Italian flair.
1. Preheat oven to 350’. Prepare the lemons: Zest them first and set aside one tablespoon of the zest. Cut away the white pith, then cut the lemons in half lengthwise and cut each half into four segments, removing seeds as you go; put the lemon segments into a measuring cup, you will need 1 1/2 cups of packed lemon segments; set aside.
2. Place flour, powdered sugar, salt, Xanthan Gum, Pine Nuts and zest in food processor. Pulse a few times to mix. Cut cold/frozen butter into ½ inch slices and add to food processor; pulse until butter is the size of small peas. Press this mixture evenly into a foil lined 9x13x1 inch baking pan which has been coated with cooking oil spray. Bake 15 to 20 minutes; until crust is just starting to turn golden brown.
3. While crust is baking: in the same food processor put lemon segments and sugar. Pulse until lemon is pulverized. Add eggs and 1/2 tsp. Xanthan Gum to food processor and pulse just until mixed. Let sit until crust comes out of the oven.
4. When crust is done: lower oven temperature to 325’, pulse egg mixture a few times just to blend and then pour slowly on top of hot crust. Return to oven and bake just until set, about 25 minutes. It is done when the top no longer jiggles when you shake the pan.
5. Let cool on the counter and then refrigerate at least 2 hours. Carefully remove foil from pan and cut into 2×2 inch bars. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve at room temperature.